1.Which is not a danger associated with somatic-cell gene therapy?
- Therapeutic genes may be inserted into the middle of another gene, disrupting its function
- Genes may not produce any protein, even if appropriate regulatory sections are included
- Inserted genes may have profound effects on the genomes of the subject’s children
- Inserted genes may have cancer-causing effects
2.Why are concerns about the individuality of clones scientifically questionable?
- Identical twins have very different personalities, and they are essentially clones of each other
- Clones of plants are made all the time when gardeners grow new plants from cuttings
- The environment and not the genes is the major shaper of the personality
- No clone would ever want to be exactly the same as his parent
3.Which is most closely associated with the process of sexual selection?
- The evolution of mimicry by walking sticks and other insects
- The extravagant feathers of a male peacock
- Apparently altruistic acts between siblings
- A desire on the part of males to mate with their sisters
4.Which best describes the theory of punctuated equilibrium?
- It postulates slow evolution that due to geological processes does not appear in the fossil record
- It states that species tend to remain stable but individuals vary a great deal
- It states that species generally remain stable but this stasis is occasionally interrupted by rapid evolutionary change
- It argues that random genetic changes are more important than natural selection in speciation
5.Which is not an apparent paradox resolved by replicator theory?
- The existence of untranscribed DNA
- The existence of altruism between siblings
- The existence of sexual reproduction
- The existence of bacterial cells
Check your answer